Even if you haven’t heard of Hampton Creek, chances are you’ve seen Just Mayo on your grocery store shelf. As their product line grows and their market reach expands, more and more people will become familiar with Hampton Creek foods. Their latest products include two new salad dressings, Just Italian and Just Ranch, which recently hit the shelves in Walmart stores around the country. Target carries their chocolate chip Just Cookie Dough along with their newest peanut butter cookie dough. Here are some facts about this interesting food company.
- All of Hampton Creek’s foods are vegan. This means their ingredients include no eggs, no dairy products, and no meat. They use only plant-based ingredients in their food because they believe that plants are healthier for both people and the environment.
- Hampton Creek calls itself a food technology company because their products are developed through scientific research. Their food scientists analyze plant proteins from thousands of species of plants in order to find proteins that mimic the properties of eggs and other common ingredients in processed foods that they want to replace.
- The egg substitute in Just Mayo is made from the Canadian yellow pea. Sorghum serves as the binding agent in Just Cookie Dough and Just Cookies (available through food service only).
- The two founders of Hampton Creek are Joshua Balk and Josh Tetrik, the current CEO. They have been friends since their teenage years.
- The word “just” in their product names means “guided by reason and justice” rather than “only.” They had to explain the meaning of the name when Unilever, the parent company of Hellman’s, sued them for falsely representing their egg-free Just Mayo as mayonnaise.
- Although Hampton Creek products are vegan, Tetrik does not want to appeal to vegan customers exclusively. He wants people to choose his products because they’re affordable and delicious, and in that way he hopes to change the way people eat.
- Hampton Creek products are carried in Walmart, Target, Kroger, Safeway, Whole Foods, and the Dollar Store. They are also available in many restaurants, school cafeterias and stadiums thanks to Hampton Creek’s association with Compass Group, a food service company.
Look for 43 more products with the Just label in the near future. Other future plans for the company include development of 500 new products, including breads, pastas, and meat replacements, and the addition of e-commerce. For more food info from Hampton Creek, check out their website.